Monday, December 3, 2012

2012 reflections, 2013 pursuits









It has been awhile since I've wrote in this blog. I thought I would catch everyone up on the 2012 year and all thats happened. Its been a year now since I've moved away from my functional work and started the sculptural path. I wanted to emphasize that we had recieved two very nice grants and one of them being specifically from the TN Arts Commission to pursue the sculptural work. I really dont think I would have financially been able to stop functional work for a year if it wasnt for the grant. I guess lookin back on the year i wish I would've kept with a smaller production of functional while I was building the new work but I was so excited for a change that I didnt look back. I've had one hell of a year traveling all over and self promoting through shows, picking up new galleries and giving some incredible workshops. I've been blessed to be able to share my ideas and the pursuit of being fearless and lifechanging experiences in clay. I was able to give a weeklong workshop at Arrowmont this year which was awsome. I met some life long friends there and am thankful for the opportunity. I spent a week living in the truck and spending time with my good friend Josh Copus and firing his Temple Kiln. I am planning on in the near future building once again a wood kiln primarily to put sculpture in. The pieces I brought up to Josh and fired was a huge springboard for next time. Workin in series rather than commitiing to a body of work for years allows me to build 20 to 30 pieces at a time and explore new firings and surface design. Even though I am having a blast workin this way I find myself having to educate that Its very much a direction rather than "i'm just playin." I hope to work this way till I'm dead and gone. I hate getting bored and dont want you to get bored with me or my work. I'm not able to do that with function. I thinkits too scary for people. It makes more since with sculpture, at least to me anyway. On a sad note we lost my father this year to sickness. That experience really knocked my feet out from me. Without gettin down thinkin of all that, I'm thankful I wasnt at a show or outta town. Both my brother and I and my family were able to be there for my dad. I have since, more than ever looked at life as if it really is fleeting. It's made me step up even more for my family and to make work like I'm on some urgent mission. I think I really needed a break from makin cups and mugs and anything that might uncover or contain. Lookin back on this year I have gained a new perpective and excitment to pursue a small more refined line of functional items. I have a show at Mudfire in Decatur georgia introducing both new functional as well as sculpture in Feb 2013. I plan on going full steam ahead with some new ideas in sculpture but I realized that I love good functional work as well. I made cups for the source -material show at Crimson Laurel Gallery this year for the first time in a year and I really thought I was going to skip steps making them. I can say they are probably the best cups I've made in awhile and I really enjoyed makin them. I try not to say this as if I feel defeated because we've had some huge success with the new direction but I had to step back this year to realize that I'm every bit of a potter. I was introduced to clay through a potter and I'm very thankful I didnt meet someone like me makin the work I do now at first. I probably would've been ruined without ever having the experience of working as a potter. I think the reason I want to pursue both sculpture and function, now that I've had time to marinate on it awhile is because I really demand at times more from myself but from the clay as well. Functional work allows me to stay grounded with humble conversation and quiet progression while the sculptural work lets the explorer come out in me. I dont have to worry about if I'm too loud or in your face with my approach to clay because its completely non-objective work. I get to be ambigous and not have a clear explanation everytime with what I'm trying to say. Maybe I just have two sides to me and its more clear when I work in clay. Either way I've learned to love clay for its quiet approach and its loud approach and that its the persons ability to bring out either. We,ve made a new website www.shadowmaystudios.com and it will have an etsy site with primarily functional items as well as sculpture on it. I really appreciate all the support and comments thrown my way through this year. Whether good or bad, I try to consume all advice, wisdom and actions given to me. I'm ready for 2013 and it better be ready for me. Stay tuned for more happenins, you can visit my FB, twitter and blog from my website. Happy holidays.    

No comments:

Post a Comment